This is what Abraham Lincoln had to say on this topic:
“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six hours sharpening my Axe”
At first look, that statement might look a bit impractical. I have seen people who work for 95% of their available time and in the remaining 5% of the time, think about what else they could do, and how to go about doing it! To be frank, I have seen people on the other side of this spectrum too – the ones that pretend to do a lot of work, but are actually in a permanent state of break!
During one of my jobs, I had this interesting conversation:
“Why do you guys keep working (sending mails) on weekends?”
“What to do, we have so much work!”
“No. If you had worked to your full potential on weekdays, you don’t have to work on weekends.”
Then it struck me – what were we doing on weekdays? Coming late – chattering with other employees/ partners etc – then slightly pick up working after lunch – not able to finish work by evening – put in a couple of hours more – not able to finish work even then, postpone it to the next day – continue doing the same all week – at the end of the week – postpone it to the weekend!
What he said afterwards was even more revealing:
“Its because you allow yourself to work extra-hours, that you don’t work efficiently when you have to. You always know you have that extra time to finish the job. But once you stop allowing yourself the option of working over-time, you will find ways to finish the work within office hours.”
Then I realized that it was not only true but a whole bunch of us were doing the same thing! This may not have a direct connection to the topic that I am discussing, but it reflects on our mentality that if we work for more hours, we can be more productive and hence the results will be better! But in actuality, are we not pretending (to ourselves – more importantly) that we are working for a long time and hence we are hard working?
In other words, its about efficiency. I have been in situations when I have a whole day, but no upper or lower limits to how much work I can complete. So naturally, I try to put every minute and every hour to complete as much work as possible. But this policy was disastrous. It not only resulted in me wasting time in front of my computer and not getting enough sleep, but after a week or so I was down for a full day with fever!
Did I at least complete more work that way? No. I work for sometime, wander around – both physically and virtually for some more time. Then back to working for a short while, and more wandering!
It was then I forced myself to take a break – To sleep for 2-3 hours compulsorily in the afternoons, and sleep well in the nights : 10 PM – 7 AM. It was then I realized, how fresh my mind was, after waking up from sleep and I started to do the crucial part of my work in the morning, immediately after I woke up from sleep.
There was one more thing I did – I took two days off, compulsorily – every week. That means, not staring at the computer monitor on Saturday and Sunday. That’s when I started going out to tourist places around my place, taking photos and trying to keep myself out of the reach of my laptop (Well, as far as possible!).
What surprised me was the results – I was doing almost the same amount of work even after sleeping twice a day and taking two full days off! Now I am wondering if I should restrict my work hours to certain number of hours a day, and not work at all – beyond those hours!
So, the point of the post is – Taking short breaks away from what you are doing, might actually help you do the work more efficiently! This is quite contrary to what we teach our kids and what we are advised at work – Work more, work more and work more!!
Now I am wondering – If I take a break in proportion to what is said in the first quote (6 hours in 8 hours), would I be spending those remaining two hours ultra-efficiently?
Well, we have all seen our classmates who rarely study or touch books (except just before exams) but score almost the same marks in exams when compared to us, who keep studying daily! So, maybe that first quote is right after all! 🙂
“What counts is not how many hours you put in : Its about how much you put in those hours”
I am Rajesh K, the author of this blog. While this blog is my hobby, I am a Freelance Video Editor by Profession. If you want to make Videos for Business or Special Occasions, do visit my other website WOWSUPER.NET to see the portfolio and get in touch.