Whenever I feel hungry and am outside my house, I search for some healthy snacks/fast-food items to eat. I am quite shocked to find that there are very very few healthy items that I can buy! I just don’t understand why all the food industries seem to be concentrating on unhealthy (and supposedly tasty) options? Isn’t it because we have been eating such food blindly instead of demanding healthier food?
I am fine with eating fast-food/snacks once in a while, even if it’s not very healthy (for the taste). But, since I started walking I have been tempted quite a lot and I have been eating considerable amounts of unhealthy food.
Recently, I decided that I should eat only healthy food, and I even tried my hand at making bread sandwich at home (which was discontinued as it required too much efforts), but I am not able to find healthier options outside my house (beyond a few).
A small list of snacks/fast-food items I get around my house:
- Puff/Samosa/Cream bun/All bun varieties – Unhealthy
- Mini-pizza/mini-burger/vada-pav/finger chips – Unhealthy
- Dosa/idly/other tiffin items – Small shops, so not sure about the quality
- Pani puri/bhel puri/dahi puri/pav bhaji – Unhealthy
- Bonda/bajji/vada/masal vada/tea/coffee – Unhealthy
- Cold drinks/Soda/Ice creams – Unhealthy
- Fruit salad – Healthy (but I don’t get it around my house!)
- Fruits – Healthy (except banana, we can’t buy others in one/two numbers)
- Sweet corn – Healthy
- Stuffed roti – Unhealthy (masala)
- Tender coconut – Healthy
- Packed/freshly made chips, mixer, other snacks in shops – Unhealthy
- Vegetable/frozen sandwich – Healthy (hopefully, except the cheese)
- Bread, fruit bread, etc – Ok, but will increase weight
- Soups – Small shops, so not sure what kind of water they use
- Roasted groundnuts – ???
- Cane juice/fruit juices – Ok, but not sure what kind of water they use
- Sweets – Sugar, Unhealthy
- Cakes/fruit cakes – Sugar, ???
- Biscuits – Sugar, ???
- chocolates – Sugar, Unhealthy
So, what can one eat outside? There are so many options but most of them are very unhealthy.
Forget eating outside, think about the snacks/sweets we make at home. How many of them are healthy?
With every passing generation we seem to eat more and more unhealthy foods. If we keep eating such fast-food and snacks frequently, we might become obese or get some health conditions like sugar, diabetics, cholesterol, etc.
I wonder how and why we are encouraging this ‘culture’?
PS: Are there any healthy snacks that you can think of? Please suggest in the comments section.
I am Rajesh K, the author of this blog. While this blog is my hobby, I am a Freelance Video Editor by Profession. If you want to make Videos for Business or Special Occasions, do visit my other website WOWSUPER.NET to see the portfolio and get in touch.