If you have an Android phone (who doesn’t), you can use the built-in Text To Speech feature to listen to eBooks, Webpages, Word/PDF Documents. That means, you can listen to almost anything you can read on your computer, today!
I’ll tell you why I prefer listening over reading nowadays:
- Since I look at the computer monitor for a long time daily, my eyes get strained/I get a headache. So to reduce the eyestrain, I listen.
- Generally, I take a break after every half- or one-hour of reading/writing on the Computer. I can listen during that time, and hence I can finish reading (listening) to much more now.
- I need to read and review short stories as I am a part of a peer-review Facebook Writers’ Group. I copy all stories into a single document, convert into ePub using Calibre, and listen to them.
- When I travel (train, bus, or car), I find it easier to listen than read. Most of the apps allow me to save and read/listen offline.
You may have more reasons like,
- Listening while commuting to the office and back.
- Listening while walking.
- Listening while working out.
- Listening while cooking, etc.
These are the Android apps that help me Listen using Text To Speech: (Most are Free of Cost)
- Pocket: I can save any webpage/blog/article that I want to read on my computer to Pocket via browser, and open it via the app on my Tablet to listen.
- Google Play Books: I can buy any book from Google Play and start listening to it using the Google Play Books app.
- FBReader: If I download a classic from Gutenberg or if I buy an ePub eBook, I can load it to FBReader and listen to it.
- @Voice Aloud Reader: This app reads PDF, Doc, txt documents aloud. I tried loading even two-column formatted PDFs and it reads without a problem.
Except the Google Play Books app, other apps allow us to adjust the speed, pitch, and volume.
So do you plan use Text To Speech technology to listen to books, documents, or articles sometime? Try it: it’s a cool/useful feature, and a different experience 🙂
Destination InfinityI am Rajesh K, the author of this blog. While this blog is my hobby, I am a Freelance Video Editor by Profession. If you want to make Videos for Business or Special Occasions, do visit my other website WOWSUPER.NET to see the portfolio and get in touch.