While writing the previous post, I pondered upon why people read horror books/watch horror movies? I don’t think I’ll be excited to do either of that – I have written one ghost story, but it’s more humor than horror!
In fact, I was so afraid after watching one Tamil horror movie (13 Number Veedu) that I didn’t sleep properly for a couple of days! I know someone who went to see ‘Evil Dead’ in Theater, that too night show, and was not able to sleep for a week! 🙂
But people do read horror/watch horror – that’s why Stephen King has become one of the best-selling authors of all time! So, why do people want horror? I tried to analyse and come up with some (possible) reasons. Here they are –
- Their life is so boring and horror adds some spice/variety to it.
- They love the gut-wrenching excitement born out of fear.
- They are so happy in life and they need horror for balancing their emotions.
- They are so sad in life and watching horror gives them satisfaction because they realize that things could be far worse.
- They are sadistic and love to see others suffer; Other’s suffering reduces their own suffering.
- Horror creates a deep impact and they remember it for a long time.
- Horror is an inspiration to increase their human-inspired terror. Maybe they want to learn some techniques from ghosts.
- They got (only) a horror book; TV/Theater is showing (only) a horror movie.
- They use horror as an excuse to escape reality to believe/live their fantasies.
- They want to get over their fear for horror (Thanks to Praveen in the comments section, for this point).
Do you think any of the above reasons make sense? Or is there any other reason?
What do you think is the reason why people read horror books/watch horror movies? Let me know in the comments section!
I am Rajesh K, the author of this blog. While this blog is my hobby, I am a Freelance Video Editor by Profession. If you want to make Videos for Business or Special Occasions, do visit my other website WOWSUPER.NET to see the portfolio and get in touch.