I am involved with the alumni association of our school and we are exploring how to meaningfully connect/help our institution so that students/teachers can benefit from the alumni network, and alumni can help each other.
Among various points discussed, here are some activities which I thought would be useful. Please add your suggestions in the comment box below.
- Career counseling & Guidance on selecting college courses could be done for students to guide them on the existing scenario in colleges/job market, entrepreneurship.
- Sports, Teachers day/Children’s day Competitions could be conducted for students & alumni.
- Sapling plantation, Donations to orphanages, Cleaning of beaches and other such activities could be organized to inculcate social consciousness.
- Culturals, hobby-related competitions could be organized for students on a regular basis.
- A fund could be created and maintained for the benefit of students & teachers in case of emergencies.
- Helping needy students to get educational loans at affordable interest rates to pursue higher education.
- Creation of interest groups like photography, movie making, wildlife, trekking, astronomy, etc. could be organized involving students & alumni so that both can benefit from the activities and learnings.
- A few events involving the general public (like exhibitions & carnivals) could be organized so that people around the area can see and interact with the school.
- A book exchange/book rental library could be created with both academic and general books donated by the alumni to benefit students.
- Discussions & speeches by alumni from various fields & colleges (from both India & abroad) to enable students to get different perspectives.
- Organizing educational trips/internships for students in companies where alumni maybe working or know someone.
- Organizing short-term student/faculty exchange programs.
- Collecting information and guiding students about national/international events, competitions, and other opportunities.
- Connecting students interested in certain fields with experienced professionals (from the alumni network) in that field.
- Having active social media outlets like facebook pages, blogs, etc. where student-alumni activities, student & alumni accomplishments can be highlighted.
- Organizing debates, talks, talent exams to improve the aptitude & soft-skills of students.
- Organizing mock-parliament sessions where students could be given the opportunities to speak about issues, areas of improvements not only in the school & their area, but also in the society at large.