Embedded above is a short video showing photos and clips from our yesterday’s visit to Dr. Kalaignar Karunanidhi Memorial/Samadhi at Marina Beach, Chennai. This is located right inside the Anna Samadhi premises just next to the Anna Square bus stand.
Adjacent to this complex lies the MGR Samadhi & Dr. J. Jayalalitha Samadhi. So the term Anna Square now makes sense with four memorials for the four important political icons of Tamil Nadu over the previous 6-7 decades.
Ten Facts about Dr. Kalaignar Karunanidhi –
- Dr. Kalaignar Karunanidhi was the longtime DMK Chief and Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for five terms (over 20-years).
- He contested and won his first MLA seat during 1957 and has personally won all the elections contested by him ever since.
- He worked as a scriptwriter from the age of 20 starting with his (then) friend MGR’s Tamil film Rajakumari. These two later-day rivals worked closely in movies & in politics. In fact, Director Manirathnam made a movie “Iruvar” which is rumoured to be inspired from the tale of friendship between these two movie & political legends.
- Dialogues for Sivaji’s first film “Parasakthi” was written by Kalaignar Karunanidhi. He kept writing screenplays for various Tamil films until 2011.
- He has written and published more than hundred poems, novels, drama scripts, etc. He has written and published his own autobiography.
- Karunanidhi started his political agitations at the age of 14 by rallying the youth in his area for social causes.
- He won his first MLA seat at the young age of 33 and his first CM post at the age of 45.
- During the 70’s DMK was the only ruling party across India that opposed the Emergency.
- He encouraged and continued the tradition of hosting Ulaga Thamizh Manadu (World Tamil Conference). He wrote the lyrics for AR Rehman’s “Semmozhi aana Thamizh mozhiyaam” – the official theme song for World Tamil Conference 2010.
- He died at the age of 94 on 7th August 2018 at Kaveri Hospital.
Reference: Wikipedia article on Dr. Kalaignar Karunanidhi.